Planning & Community Development
Planning & Community Development (Building Inspections)
The Planning & Community Development Department oversees the development and construction of all residential and nonresidential properties through the issuance of occupancy inspections, building permits, soil and grading permits, and subdivision permits. The Department also oversees the enforcement of the City's property maintenance standards. The Department also oversees the enforcement of local zoning and land use regulations, including implementation and updates to the City's Strategic Plan, as adopted in August of 2006. The Division also coordinates activities of the Planning and Community Design Commission, Board of Appeals, Economic Development Commission, and various other subcommittees and task forces dealing with long range planning.
The Building Inspections Division of the Department of Public Services oversees the development and construction of all residential and nonresidential properties through the issuance of:
- Occupancy inspections
- Building permits
- Soil and grading permits
- Subdivision permits
The City of Olivette has adopted the following building codes:
- 2015 International Residential Code
- 2015 International Building Code
- 2015 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2015 International Fire Code
- Fire Works
Common Building Projects Requiring a Permit
The following projects generally require a building permit:
- Repair, replacement, or construction of any existing or new:
- Fence, regardless of the length to be repaired, replaced, or constructed
- Deck, even if you are replacing a deck railing or structural member such as joists
- Patio cover, porch overhang, and other common roof-structures
- Flat work, including driveways, driveway turnarounds, patios, and sidewalks consisting of asphalt or concrete
- Retaining walls three feet or more in height
- Enclosure of an outdoor patio or carport
- Repair, removal, and relocation of a shed or accessory structure
- Removal or installation of kitchen cabinets, bathroom cabinets, or new fixtures such as sinks, shower stalls, etc.
- Replacement of any sheathing or decking underneath the roof shingles during a reroofing
- Replacing more than 25% of the siding on an exterior wall or proposing to re-side more than 25% of an exterior wall on your house
- Placement or construction of any pool, permanent or temporary, which can hold water 24-inches or more in depth. Note all pools must be in a secured fenced in area.
- Interior demolition
- Addition or new construction
- Sign placement and relocation
Any work construction that has been authorized though an approved building permit is limited to the hours of 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Saturday. Construction work prior to 7 a.m. or after 7 p.m. is prohibited. Construction work on a Sunday is prohibited.
Make sure to call the Public Services at 314-993-0252 for more information on any of these items. The Department of Public Services is located at 1200 North Price Road. Office hours are from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.