Doing Business in Olivette
The City of Olivette welcomes your interest in investing in our community. The City Council has directed staff with the goals to increase regular and consistent communication with businesses and encourage direct economic investment and development.
Opening a business in Olivette, in 3-steps:
- Verify zoning and regulations with the Department of Planning and Community Development at (314) 993-0252.
- Obtain an application for an occupancy inspection and business license.
- Submit the applications and schedule the inspection.
There are some businesses that may require zoning approval or need to obtain State or County approvals prior, such as establishments selling alcohol or food serving establishments.
Maintaining a business in Olivette:
Each calendar year, businesses operating in Olivette must renew their Business License. Generally, the City will forward notice to business owners for their renewal in December. License applications are due by the end of January.
2020 Business License Applications
Department of Planning and Community Development
1140 Dielman Road
Olivette, MO 63132
Starting a Business in Olivette
Before starting a business in Olivette, you must obtain all necessary inspections and licenses. You will need to obtain and complete the following:
- Completed Application Form for Occupancy (PDF), along with the following:
- Verification that the business has been registered with the Missouri Secretary of State.
- A floor plan layout of the occupied space showing how all rooms will be used.
- Completed Emergency Contacts Form, attached to the occupancy
- Completed Business License Application Form(s).
- Separate checks for the inspection fee and for the business license.
Once the City is in receipt of a completed application form, necessary business license(s), and associated fees, an inspection will be coordinated with the applicant within a 5-working day window. Once the inspection is completed and approved, the Occupancy Certificate and Business License(s) will be forwarded to the applicant.
For assistance regarding the application process or inspections, contact Carlos Trejo at 314-993-0252, or in person at the Department of Planning and Community Development.
All property, including tenant spaces or home offices, must be inspected prior to the conduct of business. To schedule an inspection, the following applications are necessary:
- Verification that the business has been registered with the Missouri Secretary of State's office
- A legible layout of the space being occupied, illustrating the use of all rooms and spaces
- An Emergency Contact form
- Associated fee are as follows:
$80 less than 2,500 sf.
$95 2,500 sf. , but less than 5,000 sf.
$120 5,000 sf., but less than 10,000 sf.
$160 10,000 sf., but less than 20,000 sf.
20,000 sf. or greater, $200.00 plus $35 for each additional 10,000 sf.
Occupancy Certificates: $20.00
Business License fees:
Merchants, first year $50.00
Service License, varies on business type-see Service License Fee Chart
All businesses in Olivette must obtain a Business License from the City. Business Licenses are issued annually. A business in Olivette may require either one or both of the above noted licenses.
The fee for a Business License(s) may be obtained through the Department of Planning and Community Development at 314-993-0444.
All food establishments must contact Saint Louis County Department of Health to obtain necessary applications.