When do I need a permit?

A building permit is required from the City of Olivette if: any building or structure is constructed, enlarged, altered or demolished; there is a change in the occupancy of any building or structure; there is a change in the use of any building or structure; or any equipment serving a building or structure is installed or altered (§500.070).

The best thing to do is to call the Department of Planning and Community Development at (314) 993-0252 and speak with one of the inspectors or planners.  The City has two Building Inspectors and two Planners, and should be able to respond to any inquiry within the same day.

In June 2016, the City of Olivette adopted the 2015 Codes published by the International Code Council (ICC) (Ord. 2582).  This includes the following:

  • 2015 International Building Code;
  • 2015 International Residential Code for One- and Two-Family Dwellings;
  • 2015 International Existing Building Code; and
  • 2015 International Property Maintenance Code.

These Codes were all adopted with amendments, including amendments on permit exemptions (105.2 and R105.2), requirements for professional and architectural services (107.3.4 and R106.3.4), means of appeal (113 and R112), and additions regarding stormwater discharge. 

The following list, though not all inclusive, represents projects that require a building permit:

Repair, replacement, or construction of any existing or new: :

-Fence, regardless of the length to be repaired, replaced, or constructed 

-Deck, even if you are replacing a deck railing or structural member such as joists

-Patio cover, porch overhang, cantilever, and other common roof-structures 

-Flat work, including driveways, driveway turnarounds, patios, paver patios, and sidewalks

-Retaining walls

-Enclosure of an outdoor patio or carport

-Repair, removal, and relocation of a shed or accessory structure 

-Removal or installation of kitchen cabinets, bathroom cabinets, or new fixtures such as sinks, shower stalls, etc. 

-Replacement of any sheathing or decking underneath the roof shingles during a reroofing. 

-Replacing more than 25% of the siding on an exterior wall or proposing to re-side more than 25% of an exterior wall on your house 

-Placement or construction of any pool, permanent or temporary, which can hold water 24-inches or more in depth. Note all pools must be in a secured fenced in area. 

-Interior demolition 

-Addition or new construction 

-Sign placement and relocation

Show All Answers

1. How can I contact my City Council Members?
2. When do I need a permit?